X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EYLF Program checklist

I am interested to hear how other centres and directors measure and show evidence of checking their staff and group leaders EYLF. In the old system we had the program checklist, what do you use now? I would love to hear ur stories and how you doucment this.

Hi Heather,
    I was wondering what conversations you have had with staff about the EYLF and what professional learning they have done so they can include the aspects of the EYLF in their practice. While I understand that staff need to be accountable for their planning and using the EYLF to assist with this- I would not like to see the EYLF reduced to a checklist. There are such big ideas in here and understandings- for example, you couldn't just put down a heading Play and give it a tick and say you do it because there is so much in there. What have you done so far? I think stories of what other programs are doing is a good idea to document (first) understanding and familarity with the ideas in the document, then (second) their use of the EYLF in planning would be helpful.

Comment

Hi all
      Heather your reference to measurement has brought up some thoughts in my mind. For example do we need to meet a checklist requirement of programes? There may be other ways to satisfy accountability? I suppose there could be checklists to say that all the children were still being observed regularly and that the observational documentation was not lopsided in one direction of their intrerest or development. This is a concern I battle with fairly regularly and to counter this am creating a method to the madness of my current documentation.
      I have previously worked as a director and am currently working as a teacher in preprep room. I have noticed that the centre directors are also trying to come to grips with their role and feeling their way about various issues.
      Looking at what might work I think as a director one could set up a framework for GLs to work with, and then negotiate what direction the programs were going in. A very basic start could be the 5 outcomes (I refer to these as learning dispositions as said elsewhere for my own work). One can keep track of accountabiity by seeing that there are programmes on display for each day, that relfective diaries are being written;that here is some form of parent/family back for each day about the program; and that each child is observed and documentation is done over a period of time(dependingon on a child's days of attendance etc). And that these link with each other. These are my broad criteria to keep track of the programming cylcle.

As Ibarblet said statring with the the understanding of the staff about EYLF each centre will have to make its own path. Are there other people who have any other stories to share? archana

Comment

I would agree with Lennie in that reducing the EYLF to a checklist is not the intention of the document. If you go back to a lot of the other threads on the forum you will see many educators, including myself are still coming up with the most suitable ways to record children' learning. For me and my staff I believe how and what we document will grow and change over time as we become more familiar with the EYLF and begin to make our own understandings. For us at the moment it is about becoming familiar with all the ideas in the EYLf and then documenting how we can make provisions in our program to ensure all of the children are making progress towards the outcomes. To me the idea of a checklist means we have made it whereas the big picture of the outcomes means we are always building on what we know children know where their interests are and where we might go next. I find it useful to have conversation with my staff about where children are at etc. rather than 'check ' documentation.

Comment

Hi all, i totally agree with what you are all saying. I love the fact that all the staff are working together and listening to each other's ideas on how to implement certain parts of the eylf into their rooms. I work for a certain company and feel we are lacking direction from our director, as us group leaders are leading the way in what we think, dont get me wrong the director is happy as she doesnt know how to implement it herself. Thank you for the support in the documentation, as i know i am on the right track.

Comment

Working...
          X